1.17.2010

not if but how

"Take writing, for instance -- an example by the way I love to use! By writing this story I want to make you think about certain political matters -- a praise-worthy objective, no? But I also want to amuse and entertain you, and more. In what I write I would like you to be able to feel pleasure, even joy. I don't want to give up on either goal, though only one of them is concerned with power. Isn't it possible to think about power in new ways? Why not suppose that as comradeship and equality get to know each other, they naturally become friends -- lovers even. And if -- as you must -- you consider such problems in your own life, you must soon begin to seriously ask yourself, how is it possible to make a truly human social life for the first time?"
(Boone, Century of Clouds)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home