7.02.2009

Third time this morning I have written the word "appropriate"

I want the poetry reading to appropriate the form of the rock show. The dark stage crowded with abandoned instruments, strangely curated background music pumping in from somewhere as the crowd gathers and mills and [im]patiently waits. The obligatory walk offstage after the “last song” followed by the obligatory raucous applause from the audience followed by the miraculous spontaneous return of the band to the stage to perform the last and best song of the night.

7 Comments:

Blogger konrad said...

i agree that it would be appropriate to have encores at readings. And entrance music.

02 July, 2009  
Blogger Jennifer Manzano said...

Did this come out of last night? I can think of someone else who would say something pretty much exactly the same.

And, for the record, I generally do not clap for encores, but I do for poetry readings.

I'm not sure what that means.

02 July, 2009  
Blogger Alli Warren said...

Actually, it came outta the Bill Callahan show. I wrote a "review" of it which was mostly crap but still wanted to tease out this idea.

I don't clap for encores either. I feel manipulated. I feel like a tool.

02 July, 2009  
Blogger Ridiculous Human Things said...

I clap for encores when I want the band to come back. Sometimes I don't want the band to come back and then I clap out of guilt.

02 July, 2009  
Blogger konrad said...

Good point: encore "coaxing" is a kind of ticket price.

But with the audience size of poetry readings, everyone would see you didn't clap, and then, uh oh ...

02 July, 2009  
Anonymous smantha said...

i think maybe SPT sh/could do battle of the poetry bands.

and encore clapping is completely wrong.

05 July, 2009  
Blogger +++ said...

HairheartsFlip has been wanting the same for a long time now. How do we make it happen?

07 August, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home