5.14.2009

Berkeley drivers! The road is not your meditation class. Please step it up.
+
Is Last Caress sincere? I’m lumping this in with R. Kelly and Morrissey in My Mind.
+
Fava beans. Less beer, more wine.
+
Here’s a story: I’ve been driving to work everyday, and in my car I only have a CD player, so I’ve been listening to compact discs, which means I’ve been reliving the Alli of 5-10 years ago. So while listening to the Rushmore soundtrack this morning, and that Who song, which is great, right, especially the repeated, culminating, call-and-response “you are forgiven" -- anyway, while listening to the song I was struck by that line “let’s have a smile for the old engine driver.” Which reminded me about that entirely female experience of being asked to smile for a man. C’mon baby, why so glum, gimme a smile. Et cetera. Or am I wrong, do men get that request?
+
I want to think about pirates, and booty, and pirate booty.
=
I haven't read a book in weeks. I forget how to write.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nicoloff said...

Oh, the smile thing. The classic Nice Guy move, the one where apparent friendliness is actually masking a directive to perform for him. React poorly and you're just as likely to meet with an "all women are bitches" or equivalent from said dude. I'm sure you've experienced that, too. Men decidedly do not run into the smile thing.

14 May, 2009  
Blogger CLAY BANES said...

I've been told I look glum, but nobody ever asked me to do anything about it.

14 May, 2009  
Blogger Matt Walker said...

american women are asked to "give me a smile", british women are asked to "give us a smile".

15 May, 2009  
Blogger Nada Gordon: 2 ludic 4 U said...

that who song always sends me into paroxysms of ecstasy.

Sometimes I will flip off people who ask me for a smile or just say I don't feel like smiling or what the hell for?

16 May, 2009  
Blogger Steve Orth said...

I find myself constantly asking women to smile.

18 May, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

positive reinforcement technique: "oh, there we go, there we go, that smile just brightens up that face of yours... it's like a whole new face"

21 May, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home